June 11, 2010

Adventures and Misfortunes of a One Car Family

We're a single income family so I try to do what I can to help save my family money. Recently, that has meant we only own one car. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so technically I don't need a car to drive to "work," but these last few days I've been getting a bit of cabin fever and car envy.

I sometimes feel like I'm sixteen asking mom and dad if I can use the car. It can be a hassle coordinating schedules to figure out how I can get to the bank and back again before my husband's one o'clock meeting. There have been a few days when I've been able to drop the hubby at work and then have the car for the morning, but that usually means that I have to have my son up, dressed and in the car early in the morning. Plus, since my husband is a pastor, he often needs the car during the day to go make hospital visits and attend meetings around town.

I envy those mommas that can pop the kids into the mini-van and drive down to the local park or zoo. Heck, sometimes I would love just to run to Sonic and buy a coke. Occasionally we miss out on playgroups and outings because I don't have a convenient way to get there (or I feel bad about constantly asking for a ride). I'm not complaining. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to stay at home with my child, and if that means a few sacrifices, I'm glad to do it. I just look forward to the day when we have enough pennies and nickels saved up to get a second car.

In the meantime, we enjoy the view from our front window. Occasionally we walk to the Dollar Tree down the street. I know this is just a phase of our lives. Hopefully one day we'll be at a place financially where we can add another vehicle without going into debt. I'm proud to say that as of this moment we are completely and totally debt free. Praise the Lord.

Now if only I could find someone who needs me to review a car . . .

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for making the sacrafice - I admire that. Hope you can shake off some of that cabin fever this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you are debt free! When you are able, can you get a used little putt-putt to go about your errands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's our plan. Once we have enough saved up we're going to get a used car. We finally paid off our car a couple months ago. We then used our "car payment" money to pay off our washer and dryer. Now that those are paid off we can start saving our "car payment" money to go toward an additional vehicle.

    I started selling Pampered Chef this last month (which I have totally loved), and I've already earned a couple hundred dollars. I figure every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really cool of you for making this sacrifice, and it's a big one. You won't regret it though. So much better to be this way than in debt. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are a one car family, too. It definitely has its challenges, but I am so thankful to not have a second car payment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love hearing from you!

ShareThis