I have to preface this review by admitting I'm probably the only woman in America who has never seen an episode of Sex and the City. The new movie premieres this weekend and has garnered a lot of excitement in women around the world. It seems like everywhere I look people are talking about this new film. Although I'm not very familiar with the characters in the movie, I am a huge fan of "girls night out." The Sex and the City 2 soundtrack was released on May 25th and has a lot of fun girls night anthems. Including a rendition of "I Am Woman" sung by the cast of the movie.
The album also features songs by grammy winner Alicia Keys, and a duet by Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson and multi-platinum recording artist Leona Lewis.
Several of the songs on the first half of the album definitely have a fun middle-eastern flair. It made me wish I knew how to belly dance.
Liza Minelli's cover of "Single Ladies" sounded a bit like a grandmother singing karaoke. I've heard that she performs the song in the movie. Maybe it's more entertaining when you have the visual to go along with the song. The song by itself is a bit comical, but not what I would call enjoyable listening.
I'm old school. So I was excited by the songs sung by the men's choir. I may not know all the words to "Empire State of Mind, " but by golly I can belt out the words to "If Ever I Would Leave You." I'm an eighty-year-old stuck in a 26 year old's body.
I'll probably skip over the Liza Minnelli songs next time I listen to it, but for the most part it was a fun girls night soundtrack. You can buy a copy for yourself or for a friend here. You can also visit their Facebook fan page.
1. Alicia Keys “Rapture”
2. Dido “Everything to Lose”
3. Cee Lo “Language of Love”
4. Erykah Badu “Window Seat”
5. Natacha Atlas “Kidda”
6. Michael McGregor “Euphrates Dream”
7. Liza Minnelli “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)”
8. Ricki-Lee "Can't Touch It"
9. Alicia Keys "Emire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down"
10. Jennifer Hudson and Leona Lewis "Love Is Your Color"
11. Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon “I Am Woman”
12. Sex and the City Men’s Choir “If Ever I Would Leave You”
13. Sex and the City Men’s Choir “Sunrise, Sunset”
14. Sex and the City Men’s Choir “Till There Was You”
15. Shayna Steele, Jordan Ballard, Kamilah Marshall “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered”
16. Liza Minnelli with Billy Stritch “Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye”
17. Cyndi Lauper “True Colors”
18. Aaron Zigman “Divas and Dunes”
Are you a Sex and the City fan?
You can enter for a chance to win a phone call from Sarah Jessica Parker!
I was provided a complimentary soundtrack to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed are my honest thoughts concerning the product.