I'd like to say that I've always been the picture of punctuality. The truth is, I've been running late since birth. I've raced to beat tardy bells. I've sprinted across campus to make it to an 8 AM class (one time I even showed up with my shirt on inside out . . . but that's another story). Most times I made it with only a few seconds to spare, but I usually made it.
Then, I had children, and I was never on time again . . . or at least that's how it seems most days. I swear, some days it feels like they hold secret meetings to conspire ways to make us late.
Ben: "Ok, here's the plan. Mom just hopped in the shower to get ready for church. I'm going to pull all of my clothes out of my drawers. I'm going to need you to spill something on the floor."
Andrew: "Sounds good. While she's putting on her make-up, I'm going to poop my pants and stick my toys in the toilet."
Ben: "Excellent. She'll never be on time!" (insert maniacal toddler laughter).
OK. So MAYBE that's a bit dramatic, but it never fails that the moment we need to be out the door, something happens. A diaper needs to be changed. We can only find one shoe. Someone has taken my wallet out of my purse (true story - I haven't been able to find it for the last 3 days). Something comes up.
I figured, when life gives you lemons; you make lemonade. When your kids make you late; you make an entertaining blog post. Chances are, I'm not the only mom showing up late with only half of the make-up on her face. So here, for your entertainment pleasure, the top ten reasons why I'm late - preschooler edition:
10. The sink is full of books.
9. The boys have helped themselves to the secret stash of chocolate I had hidden in my bedroom.
7. Someone has climbed in the toilet, splashed in the toilet, or put things inside the toilet.
6. Someone colored on themselves with marker "on accident."
5. Someone decided they wanted some peanut butter (and mom forgot to put it away).
4. While in the bathroom "washing their hands" they decide they also should wash their hair by dumping half a bottle of shampoo on their heads and bodies.
3. Someone colored on the carpet with markers.
2. Someone decided that firemen need beards and mustaches . . .and apparently multiple uni-brows. (Don't worry, marker privileges have officially been suspended).
And the #1 reason I'm late. . . .
1. Because as the mother of a preschooler, life is always full of unexpected surprises. I wouldn't have it any other way. . . well, I might be able to do without the markers :-)