Perhaps you've heard of a Bucket List - a list of things you want to do before you "kick the bucket." Recently, I read another blogger talking about a Life List. Although the two are pretty much the same in principle, I like the term Life List much better. The truth is, we never know when we'll kick the bucket, so why not be intentional about the time that you have right now.
Here are a few of the items on my Life List. Some of them are practical and let's face it, some of them are pure fantasy, but they would sure be fun.
1.Audition for Wheel of Fortune - I know the odds of getting on the show are about the same as the odds of winning the lottery. It must be the 80-year-old woman in me, but I love me some Wheel of Fortune. It's one of the few TV shows that I like to watch regularly.
3. See the Aurora Borealis - I would love to visit Alaska and witness this wonder first hand.
4.Complete a Marathon - I completed a half-marathon in November 2012, but I'm contemplating training for a full marathon in celebration of my 30th birthday in 2014.
5.Have a six-pack - And I don't mean a six pack of sodas, I mean those snazzy things that people have at their mid-section. My six-pack is currently hiding under this super soft, fluffy pillow. It's great for people to take naps on, not so great for fitting into my pants.
6. Pay off my Mortgage - Right now, that's scheduled to happen in 2041. My goal is to have a home paid off waaaaaaay before then (preferably before my boys head to college in 14 years).
7. Visit Hawaii - This would preferably take place after I had acquired aforementioned six pack, not that anyone other than the hubster would see them. I've never worn a bikini in my life . . . I don't think that's going to make the life list though.
8. Attend a Broadway Show in NYC - I envision a super awesome girls weekend. I don't think my husband would appreciate the splendor and glory that is a musical, now a Yankees game, he could totally go for that.
9. Memorize a piece of music on the piano. I've been playing the piano for over 20 years, but for the life of me, I have yet to successfully memorize and entire piece of classical music.
10. Go snorkeling - I've snorkled in nasty lake water, but that doesn't count. I would love to see some beautiful fish.
11. Enter something in the County Fair.
12. See New York City at Christmastime.
12. See New York City at Christmastime.
What I'm doing to accomplish my Life List
- I continue to watch Wheel of Fortune. I'm honing my skills, folks. I signed up to be notified when there's an audition in my area.
- I'm actually working on a book proposal right now. My goal is to finish the proposal by 4/30 and begin looking for an agent.
- I'm thinking a trip to Alaska would make an excellent 15th anniversary trip.
- If I want to run a marathon during my 30th year, I would probably need to start training in the spring of 2014, with a goal to run the marathon in the fall of 2014.
- I'm actually starting an online Biggest Loser Challenge this week. It will help me be accountable for diet and exercise choices.
- We're completely debt free, apart from our mortgage and we live within our means and use a budget. I'm currently paying a little bit extra on our principal each month. Ok, it's only $9 extra, but every little bit helps.
- Perhaps Hawaii can be our 10th anniversary trip.
- I need to talk to my girlfriends and see if I can scrounge up some interest.
- I would like to memorize Deux Arabesque by Debussy.
- Maybe I could check this off my list when I go to Hawaii
Of course, this isn't a final list. I'm sure I'll add to it along the way. I also have personal/spiritual goals that are a little more private. I'm just learning the importance of being intentional and setting goals.
Some cool things I've already crossed off my list:
- Married my handsome and charming husband.
- Gave birth to two incredible little boys.
- Bought our first home.
PLACES/THINGS I'VE SEEN
- Traveled to South America (Brazil), Central America (Guatemala), and Europe (well actually, just the UK - Scotland and Ireland). I've also been to Mexico and Canada.
- I've gone for a swim in both oceans.
- Been to Ireland on St. Patrick's Day.
- Visited Loch Ness
- Seen Braveheart's real sword.
- I've stayed in a 200 year old estate in the Highlands of Scotland.
- Visited Disney World and Universal Studios.
- Seen the Hollywood Sign.
- Hiked around the Grand Canyon (and got lost . . . that's another story).
- Visited Roswell, NM.
- Toured Carlsbad Caverns
- I've toured the Hershey Chocolate factory in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
- I've gone for a swim in one of the Great Lakes.
- I've toured the White House.
- I've been to the Smithsonian (I even got to see Mr. Rogers sweater and Oscar the Grouch).
- I've been inside the St. Louis Arch.
- I've visited Iguacu Falls in Brazil.
- I've been inside a rainforest.
- I've been to Yosemite National Park.
- Attended a Coldplay Concert
- Been to the top of Pikes Peak.
- Ridden an ATV across the Continental Divide.
- White Water Rafting in Colorado.
- Danced a jig on top of the Wallace Monument in Scotland
- Peed on the side of a volcano (classy, I know).
- I've been on TV (I was in the studio audience at a taping).
- I've been on the radio.
- Ran a 5k.
- Ran a half-marathon
- Solved a Rubik's Cube
- Debt free (with the exception of our never-ending mortgage).
- Studied abroad at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- One of my quotes was printed in a magazine.
- I've ridden every ride at Six Flags Over Texas (or at least I did in 2006 - not sure if they've added more since then.)
- I've climbed to the top of Guadalupe Peak in Big Bend National Park (the highest natural point in Texas).
UNUSUAL THINGS I'VE EATEN
- Chocolate covered squid jerky.
- Calf Fries
- Frog Legs
- Drank a pot of tea in a castle courtyard.
- I've gotten to pet a dolphin
- I've fed a giraffe.
- I've touched a Toucan
- I've ridden an elephant.
It's been fun to take a trip down memory lane. You never realize the neat things you've had an opportunity to do until you start writing them down.
What's an item on your Life List? or What has been the most exciting item you've crossed of your list so far?