March 7, 2010

"Kaleidoscope" by Patsy Clairmont Review

Have you ever taken the time to peer through a kaleidoscope? It's amazing how all these different little bits and pieces can be shaped and formed together to create visually stunning works of art - one twist of the hand and a new masterpiece is waiting to be discovered. In her book Kaleidoscope: Seeing God's Wit and Wisdom in a Whole New Light, Patsy Clairmont invites readers to take a look at God's own kaleidoscope in the book of Proverbs - the bits and pieces of wisdom held up to the light of God's truth.

The book contains thirty-three short chapters in which Clairmont reflects on a particular proverb. Each short devotional thought is followed by a section entitled "Bits and Pieces" which encourages the reader to apply the proverb to their own life. The questions aren't all spiritual in nature, some are rather comical. My favorite was: "How have you been a hormonally consistent mom? How do you express your hormonal imbalance with your family?" Am I supposed to be hormonally consistent??? . . . oops. Each chapter concludes with "Held to the Light" in which she points to other scripture passages that cover the same topic.

I particularly love Clairmont's sense of humor which is readily evident throughout the book. It felt like I was sitting next to a girlfriend at a coffee shop dishing about life. I would gladly recommend this book to others.

Thanks to Thomas Nelson for providing me with a copy to review. I enjoyed the opportunity to offer my honest opinion of their book!

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting! I love hearing from you!

ShareThis