July 22, 2013

Dear Duchess


Dear Duchess,

Welcome to motherhood.

I'm sure by now you've taken the time to marvel over tiny toes and fingers. Perhaps you've counted and recounted, marveling how his small fingers instinctively curl around your own.

I don't think it matters if your official title is "Your Royal Highness" or just plain ole "Mrs.," Motherhood ushers in a whole new dimension of identity and responsibility.

Yes, our lives are quite different. The only throne I'll ever sit on is in need of a good cleaning. The only photographer who stalks my movements is a four-year-old with a kiddie digital camera. No one cares what I'm wearing or where I'm travelling on holiday.

But, one thing I've learned on this mothering adventure is that deep down we're all the same. We know nothing. We have to learn everything and then relearn it again and again. The poorest mother in the mountains of El Salvador and the mother of a future king each wrap their hearts around tiny human beings.

We wrap up our hopes and dreams around these little bundles and we realize deep down what it means to love someone so much that you would die for them.

The pressures and responsibilities are different. Our obligations are different, but I think our hopes and dreams for our children are the same. We want them to be happy. We want them to be successful. We want them to grow up to be people we can be proud of - people of character and conviction.

The birth of a child is the beginning of an incredible adventure. It won't always be beautiful. There will be days when you'll think to yourself "What was I thinking?" Days when a thousand different people will analyze and criticize your parenting choices. Days when you'll be tempted to just throw your hands in the air and go for a walk. Maybe royal babies are different, but I doubt it.

So, welcome to this new adventure. May you always remember the day you received your newest title, "Mom."

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love hearing from you!

ShareThis